Monday, February 25, 2013

Head Scan

Day 10

I am 27 weeks (gestational age) today.  It was a busy morning.  They did a head scan to check my brain for bleeding.  The blood vessels in the brains of preemies are very fragile and break easily.  My parents won't hear the official report until tomorrow, but the doctor said he didn't see anything to be concerned about.  They put me back under light therapy for jaundice again and increased my feeds to 4.5 cc.


Grandma Thurman came to see me for the first time today.  I was pretty tired and having trouble keeping my oxygen level up.  I had an episode of apnea which is when I stop breathing.  The apnea sometimes causes bradycardia which is a slow heart rate.  Everyone calls these A's and B's.  The nurse had to rub my back and stimulate me to remind me to breathe.  Hearing this really made my parents worry.  To make things worse, they were not allowed to visit in the evening because two new preemies came and all the nurses were very busy.

Mom and Grandma spent the whole afternoon making my incubator blanket so I could sleep better.  Dad picked out the guitar fabric and Mom came up with the idea to line the inside with plain black to block out the light.  Grandma sewed it together with yellow ribbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment