Monday, March 4, 2013

New Trooper Gear

Day 17
28 weeks (gestational age)

New doctor this week.  He changed out my old Storm Trooper gear (nasal cannula and tubes) for much smaller ones called Ram prongs.  The big ones I was wearing were causing a lot of irritation and stretching my nose because I am too small for even the smallest size.  The last time they tried switching me to the smaller nose prongs, I wasn't getting enough air and after a few minutes they had to put the big ones back on.  Today I have been doing well with the new ones.

Mom and Dad were so excited to be able to see more of my face.  I don't have to wear the head gear and hat with the Ram prongs so Mom and Dad could see my whole head and ears.  Mom thinks I have her ears, but Dad thinks they look like his.  I have a lot more hair than I did when I was born.  My head was a little squished from the head gear I had to wear for so long, but that will go away.




They ran a bunch of lab work to check if I had any infections which I don't, but my hematocrit level (red blood cell composition) is very low.  This means I might have to have a blood transfusion tomorrow, something else my parents are going to worry about.

7 comments:

  1. Neta and Erwin- he is precious! What a blessing he already is in your lives and how much this tiny little guy has taught you in the little amount of time he's been here! We will continue to pray for him and your family! Thanks for allowing us to be a part of this journey with your family! My girls will really enjoy hearing how baby Santiago is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a handsome blessing he is! & such a strong little fighter! Lorelei will be so thrilled to see his pictures & hear how he's doing. thank you for sharing. big prayers coming your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neta, he is just beautiful! Sarah, Izzy and I and the rest of our family are thinking about you guys every day and sending good thoughts your way. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful boy, and such a tough little guy! Thank you for sharing all the news of how he is doing, and the photos... Evie has loved seeing the pictures of him and hearing all about him. :)
    We are praying every day for him and you, and all your family. I know that God has a special plan for you and your precious little son. What a blessing!
    He will love reading this blog when he is older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neta, He is beautiful, congratulations to you and your family! He is a blessing! Keep the faith, the road is long and hard but it will all be worth it in the end. My son, Jacob was also a premie so I know all too well what you are going through. Praying for you and your family!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Neta and Erwin..what a beautiful little blessing! Baby Santiago is a strong little warrior! Know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers constantly! Thank you for sharing your handsome little miracle with us! So glad to see this precious one. Hugs, prayers, and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete