Sunday, March 3, 2013

Setback

Day 16

Last night was very scary for my parents.  Mom got even more worried when she couldn't get through to my nurse on the phone this morning.  She began to imagine lots of terrible things.  When she finally talked to my nurse she was relieved to hear that I was doing ok.  Up on my oxygen, but stable.  I gained a little more weight and am now 2 pounds, 2.5 ounces.  Manuel came with my parents to see me in  the afternoon.

A cardiologist took a look at my heart again.  The doctor suspects the PDA might be causing all the fluctuations in my breathing and he is right, the PDA is very large again.  They are going to treat it the same way as they did before, 3 doses of Ibuprofen every 24 hours.  The good thing is that I responded to the medication the first time and not all preemies do.  Hopefully this time it will close all the way.  Mom and Dad are really scared that I will need surgery.

They are discontinuing the steroid for my lungs until I am done with the PDA treatment.  They will also cut back to trophic feeds which are only 2 cc of breast milk.  I will probably get very cranky because I am up to 13.5 cc now and I like having a full stomach.


Grandma and Grandpa Thurman came in the evening.  After Mom changed my diaper the nurse let her listen to my heart with the stethoscope.  She could hear the whooshing sound of the PDA letting blood flow incorrectly.  It is going to be a long 72 hours for my family to find out if the treatment worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment