Monday, February 18, 2013

Bright Lights

Day 3

Today they put me under light therapy for jaundice.  Jaundice occurs when the liver is too immature to remove a waste product called bilirubin from the blood when old red blood cells break down.  The lights help the body break down and eliminate bilirubin.  They gave me these cool sunglasses to wear while I am under the lights.  I am going to pretend I am catching some rays at the beach.






The best news of the day is that my blood work was negative for any infections so I don't need to take antibiotics anymore.  An infection was the first big thing that my parents were really worried about.  The doctor is pleased that I am still off the breathing tube.  Later in the week I will have a chest x-ray to look at my lungs and a head scan to check for any brain bleeds.

Mom and Dad said that they had tons of people from the hospital stop by their room.  They were very excited when they finally got enough milk to flow into the bottle to bring to me.  Mom's milk is going to give me super powers.  I know she is very sad to be discharged from the hospital today, but they will come back to see me every afternoon and night.  I held her hand for a few minutes before they left.

No comments:

Post a Comment