Sunday, February 17, 2013

Storm Trooper

Day 2

Little boys like to dress up like superheroes.  After only 24 hours, the doctor recognized that I am not just an ordinary boy, took out the breathing tube from my throat and gave me my Storm Trooper gear.  I don't really like the prongs up my nose but they give me continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) which regulates the concentration of oxygen and pressure.  If I get tired or forget to breathe the CPAP will help me, but I am doing most of the work on my own.


I have lots of equipment: a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) in my arm which goes to a larger vein near my heart to deliver IV fluids and medicine, an umbilical catheter which is a thin tube in my belly button so the doctors and nurses can draw blood and give me fluids and medication without hurting me, and an incubator which is this clear plastic box that keeps me warm and protects me from germs and noise.  The blue cuff that is on my foot monitors my blood pressure, the pads on my chest go to the heart monitor, and the light wrapped around my foot measures the level of oxygen in my blood.  All of these things are hooked up to a monitor that beeps all the time and makes my parents very nervous.

Auntie Denia and Lisi came to visit me today.  Auntie Lisi drive all the way from Ohio as soon as she heard I was here, so I must be pretty special.  Mommy and Daddy came to see me lots and spent the day learning how to pump breast milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment