Wednesday, March 27, 2013

40 days and 40 nights

Day 40

Clinically insignificant.  Mom said those were the two most beautiful words she has heard in a long time because that is how the doctor described my PDA after my echocardiogram.  The echo showed that the PDA is smaller and restrictive with normal heart functions.  It is still open but there is no longer a flow reversal and the left side of the heart is not enlarged (which sometimes happens with PDAs).  That means unless I start having respiratory problems again, there are no indications for surgery at this time.  Yippee!!!!!

The hydrocortisone has really made a big difference.  They have dropped my pressure again from 5 to 4 and I got the small RAM prongs back.  These are much more comfortable and I don't have to wear all the bulky head gear anymore.

Only rough part of the day was the dreaded eye exam.  All the preemies hate it, but we need it.  There used to be a high rate of blindness in preemies, especially micro preemies like me (born before 26 weeks gestation or under 800 grams or about 1 pound 12 ounces).  Now they can catch eye problems early and correct them before they lead to blindness.  The eye doctor has to prop our eyelids open with a speculum.  Even though it is only for a few seconds, most preemies drop their heart rate during the exam.  That happened to me and they had to give me a break in the middle of the exam to let my heart rate come back up.  The nurse had to turn my oxygen up to 35% but an hour later I made it back to 21%.  The good news is that my eyes are ok, the bummer is that I have to have this exam repeated every 2 weeks until I go home.

Whew!  What a day.  I am tuckered out.

No comments:

Post a Comment