Sunday, March 24, 2013

Big Boy Bed

Day 37

The hydrocortisone is working!  D-sats are fewer and I have stayed on less oxygen so the doctor has postponed the echo to Wednesday.  She said she doesn't want to rush surgery since I am responding to the steroids and wants to give them a few more days to do their magic.

Since I have been breathing like a big boy, they moved me to a big boy bed.  Actually, they moved me because I was getting too hot, even inside the incubator with single plastic walls.  The nurses tried turning off the air mode, but the moist air from the bubble CPAP made the incubator walls fill up with condensation.  They called this "rain out".  Usually they don't put preemies less than 1500 grams into an open crib and I am only 1300.  After a few days of struggling to keep my temperature low enough, the doctor decided to give the open crib a shot.

So far so good.  I am regulating my temperature all by myself.  Mom and Dad feel a lot closer to me in the open crib because they can look over me and watch me sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment