Thursday, March 14, 2013

Another step back

Day 27

Another hard day today.  Doctor said I have to go back to the large nose prongs that I had before.  This made Mom and Dad really sad.  I told them sometimes Storm Troopers have to go back and re-train every so often.  I have had slightly less apnea today with the increase in pressure and the drops in oxygen saturation haven't been as severe.  The doctor is starting me on Flovent which is an inhaled steroid to reduce the inflammation in my lungs.  I get treatments twice a day.  It will take about 3 days to see any effects.

A really pretty physical therapist came to see me today.  She taught Mom how to read my stress signals and some calming techniques.  It made Mom feel really good to know more ways to help me.  The physical therapist showed her how to make better boundaries with the Z flow which is the malleable cushion that creates the nest I sleep in.  The therapist also put up signs reminding nurses and visitors that I like my room quiet, dark, and free of heavy smells like food and perfume.

I am eating 17 cc of breast milk every 3 hours and they are adding 26 calories to each feed to beef me up.  I love to eat and am up to 2 pounds 8 ounces.  Sometimes I get hungry in between feeding times.  This is a video of me from yesterday when the nurse took out my feeding tube to change it for a new one.  Even though I get milk through a feeding tube, I am practicing how to suck.  Mom and Dad get so happy when they see me do normal baby things.

Got Milk?

No comments:

Post a Comment