Saturday, March 2, 2013

Good Day, Rough Night

Day 15

I had lots of visitors come to see me today for my 2 week birthday: Uncle Ray, Aunt Nola, and Auntie Denia.  I slept pretty much the whole time.  The other day everyone was so excited when I pooped.  I thought I would make the nurse happy so I waited till she took off my diaper to show her what I could do.  She wasn't as happy as I thought she would be.  She had to change all the sheets on my bed.  What do they want me to do with the 14 cc of breast milk they are giving me.  In 2 more increases I will be up to full feeds.  Then they can take my PICC line out and stop the IV fluids.


I have been having trouble keeping my breathing stable for a few days.  Today the doctor started me on steroids to help my lungs get better faster.  Tonight things got really bad.  While Mom and Dad were here in the evening a had several A's and B's (apnea and bradycardia) in a row.  The respiratory therapist tried changing out my nose tubes but it didn't help.  My breathing and heart rate kept dropping and the nurse had to stimulate me over and over.  It was terrifying for my parents to see.  The nurse said I must be tiring out from having to do most of the breathing on my own.  They tried adjusting pressure and the percent of oxygen, going into the 40's and 50's.  I also started breathing really fast, which they call tychypnea.  Mom asked the nurse if I will have to get the breathing tube put back down my throat.  The nurse said that they would do that as a last result.

No comments:

Post a Comment