Friday, March 8, 2013

Bubble Boy

Day 21

Today I got a whole new breathing system called a Bubble CPAP.  The bubbles maintain a constant amount of pressure to help keep my airs sacs inflated, but I am doing all the breathing on my own.  The old breathing system I had was called a NIPPV (non-invasive positive pressure ventilation).  It gave me the constant pressure to keep my air sacs inflated, but also forced a certain number of breaths per minute into my lungs.  The Bubble CPAP is less support so that means I am doing better.  I like the bubble sounds it makes.



The cardiologist came to see if my PDA was closed today.  Unfortunately the valve is still open, but at least it is smaller.  They are going to ahead and give me one last dose, which will make 6 nights in a row this time (I was treated for 3 nights during my first week in the NICU).  This is the last dose I can have because the doctor said we are losing ground on nutrition.  I can only have a tiny bit of breast milk to keep the digestive system working while on the medication and it is making me cranky.  I hope it works.  I am looking forward to having a full belly again.


Mom and Dad got to watch the nurse give me a bath tonight.  I was so tuckered out that I didn't even put up a fight.  My nose prongs kept falling out and for a second or two Mom and Dad got to see my whole face without any equipment.  The nose prongs are irritating my septum and the doctors are worried about it getting too thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment